"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time."
- Edith Wharton

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Meditations on the Status Quo

The days are just flying by lately. Thankfully, there's been so little drama since I last posted that I haven't known what to write about! P and I seem to have settled into some sort of relationship plateau -- we're past the "what are we doing here?" phase and not yet into the "so where is this going?" phase. I expect someday we'll at least have a conversation about it, but I'm in no hurry and I certainly have no idea right now what the answer would be. We're so different in so many ways that I'm not sure if we're alike enough in the right ways for this to last. But we'll save that for another post. For right now, I'm just enjoying cruising along the plateau.

On to another topic altogether ... uniforms. No, not the polo/plaid skirt type. I'm talking about the default outfit you grab in the morning. For me, it's jeans year-round, paired with a tee or tank and flip flops in the summer and with a cardigan and boots in winter. Now, this is not a huge revelation. It's not like I just noticed yesterday that I own 15 pairs of jeans! But what is a revelation is that I've stopped fighting my uniform and embraced it. For a long time, I forced myself to try to break out of my comfort zone. I'd buy cute pencil skirts, strappy sundresses, flowy silk blouses, scarves in every shape and color ... and while they were all gorgeous hanging there in my closet, they rarely saw the outside world.

So instead of trying to play dress-up, I'm now embracing my style. This year, I've invested in a slew of  great-fitting jeans, an array of stylish tees, and upped the style quotient with colorful shoes, pretty necklaces, and cute jackets. And I couldn't be happier with the results! Since I work in a casual office, I wear the same thing weekdays and weekends ... getting dressed is easy, shopping even easier. Sure, I'll bust out a dressy dress or short skirt once in awhile, but for now I am loving my "uniform"!

No comments:

Post a Comment