"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time."
- Edith Wharton

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Reflections, Part 2: A Look Ahead

Now that we've put 2010 to rest, here are a few things I'd like to do better in 2011. I haven't perfected these yet -- you're the first to hear them -- so bear with me. Last year's resolutions -- take the stairs, wash my face, and rise above -- had the benefit of being pithy, memorable, and even symbolic. So this year's have some big shoes to fill.

1. Along the lines of take the stairs, this year I want to drink more water. And get Lulu and Boo in the habit of drinking water more often too. I bought this handy little water system a couple of months ago and I love it! All the convenience of bottled water without the cost or the waste. We've all been drinking more water lately thanks to it.

2. And following the massive success of last year's wash my face pledge, this year, I'm going to brush every night. I know, I know, how did I survive 36 years without regularly washing my face or brushing my teeth every night? It's horrible, so this year, I'm going to get in the habit of brushing every night. I'm already in there washing my face, so it can't be that hard, right? You may be underestimating how lazy I can be at night! But I am optimistic about this one. Hey, maybe next year I'll tackle flossing! Wouldn't my dentist be proud.

3. Rise above, while noble, had limited success. Perhaps I'm just a petty, small-minded person (likely) or perhaps it was just too far-reaching to remember consistently. Who knows. But it's clear that more specific, focused resolutions work better for me. So instead of "just be nice" (a worthy contender for this slot), I'm going to go with "wait a day". That means before I buy anything non-essential, make any major decisions, or embark on any potentially difficult conversations, I'm going to hold off for 24 hours. I tend to be more impulsive than I'd like to be, especially when it comes to shopping and "we need to have a talk" moments.

4. Finally, out of both necessity and the fact that I already own more jeans than anyone should, I'm taking a short-term (90-day) no-clothes/shoes-shopping pledge. I'm putting it here because then I'll feel even guiltier if I break my promise!

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. I just spent all afternoon going through my clothes and getting rid of stuff and I'm still not finished so I think I'm going to jump on board with number four and cut out any clothing/shoe shopping.
    But only for 60 days.. because I really want to buy a new outfit and new pair of shoes for my birthday shindig!
    But as a compromise for the last 30 days that I won't be doing I will only buy either an outfit or a pair of shoes - not both. And maybe I'll even set a budget.. I'll have to think about it.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete