"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time."
- Edith Wharton

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Reflections, Part 1: A Look Back

Well, so, 2010. It was sometimes trying, mostly rewarding, often both at the same time. I learned some important, if painful lessons about who I am and who I want to be. And I was pleasantly surprised to note (occasionally) that the space between wasn't as wide as I thought. Before we get too far into 2011, let's do a quick recap of the past year's highs and lows, shall we?
Overall, while 2010 wasn't perhaps the most enjoyable year ever, I can easily say it was one of the most valuable. I'm better for it, the good and the bad. If I had to sum up the lessons of 2010 in one (hyphenated) word, it would be ... self-control. My ability to control how I act and react, and how I choose to see myself and the challenges in my life shape 99% of my mood and outlook. Choosing to be happy, choosing to keep perspective, choosing to view my life in a positive way actually makes me happier. If I could take only one thing with me into 2011, that would be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment