"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time."
- Edith Wharton

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Wardrobe Malfunction ... in honor of the Super Bowl!

P is coming over to watch the Super Bowl with us. I'm making chili, I've got wood in the fireplace stacked up for a fire, Lulu and Boo are pretending not to be excited that P is coming but have still asked what time he'll be here approximately every 8 minutes ... and I'm nervous.

I'm always a little on edge when P comes over. When it's just us, I think I do a darn good job of being a fun, smart, pretty girlfriend. I'm laid back, low maintenance, and I can give him my full attention, undistracted by sibling squabbles, dirty dishes, or Boo's absurdly frequent requests for food. (Seriously, he eats ALL THE TIME. I eat like twice a day. I don't get it.)

But when P comes here? I'm a mom first and second and being a girlfriend comes a distant third. Which is why I just spent 20 minutes trying on clothes to find the perfect "of course I didn't dress up for the Super Bowl -- that would be crazy -- but don't I look cute anyway?" outfit. Sweats? Too frumpy. Skinny jeans? Too dressy. Yoga pants? Too obvious. I settled for a gray and white striped tee from Old Navy and Gap jeggings (jeggings: great invention, horrible name). It looks casual but (I hope) sexy. After all, the kids can only stay up until halftime ...

I've got to start chopping onions for the chili now, but I've got a new "favorite things" post in the works for you soon. It's been awhile and I've got a couple of things to share (three words: no more vacuuming).

Also, a quick blog note. I've got a new friend -- Singlemommyhood.com! Check out their link on the right side of the page. If you're a single parent, definitely check out Leah and Rachel's site -- it was a life saver for me when I first began navigating the strange new world of separation and divorce.

Finally, while I really couldn't care less who wins the Super Bowl when there are no Manning brothers on the field, I think I'm going to root for the cute, clean-cut QB over the bearded one accused of sexual assault. But that's just me.

1 comment: