"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time."
- Edith Wharton

Friday, March 25, 2011

Lulu Learns an Essential Life Lesson

Here's how most of the little mother-daughter talks between me and Lulu go. "Look, Lulu, I have been through this [insert school problem, sibling squabble, fight with a friend] before and I can save you a lot of pain and suffering if you just listen to my advice." And her responses, while varied, all show that she clearly does not believe that I could possibly have ever been 7, missed a word on a spelling test, fought with my friends, or got irritated at my younger sibling.

But! I have been vindicated! And so thoroughly that she now thinks I am some sort of wise Yoda mother who knows all.

On Monday, Lulu comes home in tears -- tears! -- because some boy at her after-school center likes her friend and not her. And worse this "friend" (who has caused several problems before -- I know I shouldn't hate a 7-year-old, but I kinda sorta hate this one) was now ignoring Lulu.

After some hugs and more tears, I made Lulu sit on my bed and look at me while I told her very firmly that 1. I know this is tough stuff, and unfortunately, it doesn't get any easier and the reason I know this is that I am 36 and still dealing with variations of these issues. And 2. That this so-called friend would come crawling back before the end of the week because I know for a fact that no 2nd grade boy is going to stay interested in a 1st grade girl for more than a few days.

Skeptical, she peered up at me and said, "You don't know that, mama!" But I do, I said. And sure enough, when I picked her up yesterday, she was playing with the girl. I asked what had happened and she said, eyes all big, "You were RIGHT, mama! Chase doesn't want to play with Olivia anymore. HOW did you know that?" I told her, look, Lulu, I know stuff. Pretty much anything that will happen to you has happened to me and I can tell you how it's going to play out. So listen up next time, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment