"If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time."
- Edith Wharton

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Extreme Divorce Makeover

Ok, so "extreme" might be an overstatement, but I was thinking today how much happier I am both inside and outside. I've lost a few pounds, started taking better care of my skin, making an effort with my hair, and best of all, rediscovered my style. It's amazing how many compliments I get every day now! I feel so much more ME now than I have at any other point in my life. I wouldn't dream of going back to my teens or 20s!

I thought I'd share the tools and tricks I used in my EDM in hopes that they might spark some inspiration for you, too!

Weight
I was OK with my weight before, but between having babies and just not paying much attention to what I ate, I had drifted from a size 4 to an 8 over the past few years and I didn't want to continue the trend. So on the advice of my super-healthy coworkers H and D, I started by tracking what I ate using a free service called SparkPeople.com. It took me a little while to get used to entering in everything I ate (they have a free iPhone app that makes it even easier!), but once I did, I was shocked at how many calories and, especially, carbs I was eating. Guess my life-long sweet tooth had finally come back to bite me, so to speak. Just by monitoring my calorie, carb, fat, and protein intake, I lost 5 pounds almost instantly, and another 3 over the following few weeks, going down a full clothing size overall and losing the dreaded muffin top! I'd like to drop another 5, but I am thrilled at where I am right now and it has been a breeze to maintain.

One secret? Protein shakes. They fill me up and give me an additional boost of protein, which is key to keeping my energy level steady. Atkins Advantage shakes taste great and are relatively low in fat and very low in carbs; I also do Jay Robb's chocolate protein shakes, which have practically no fat or carbs and double the protein of the Atkins' brand. They're not the tastiest, but they're tolerable especially given the huge protein punch they pack.

Skin
I know you all wash your faces religiously every night, but I was always too tired and too lazy. I used a Sephora gift certificate to purchase the Clarisonic Mia last fall and I will never go back! My skin literally glows! I also got serious about eye cream and wrinkle prevention. I'm genetically blessed with a youthful look that I want to maintain. I use Philosophy's Help Me every other night and Creme de La Mer eye balm every night. The latter was a pre-divorce splurge that I then neglected to use; once it's gone, I'll be switching to the more budget-friendly Kiehl's Creamy Avocado eye cream (read Apocalypstick Now's review, which totally sold me).

For makeup, I have no secrets other than mascara and lipstick. Never wore either pre-divorce; wear both every.single.day now. For mascara, it doesn't matter what brand -- they all seem about the same to me -- but black is a must. For lipstick, I am really picky about color and texture. Laura Mercier's Baby Lips is my go-to for day, while Mac's Viva Glam in Original Cyndi (thanks again Apocalypstick Now) is my take-it-up-a-notch fave.

Style
I have two words for you: skinny jeans. Yes, I know, I know, I dismissed them too. There was no way I was going to display my muffin-topped pear shape in THOSE! But curiosity eventually won out and I tried on a pair. They looked ... great! I don't know what it is about them, but if you can find the right pair, they are simply genius. I love my Old Navy Diva Skinny Jeans (in photo) almost as much as my beloved Hudson Signature Bootcuts. And at just $29.50, they are a lot cheaper. I also have a pair of uber-chic Paige Premium Denim skinny jeans that I adore (bought on sale at TJ Maxx; I saw them at my store recently so you might still be in luck). The Paige pair is soft and stretchy, not like "jeggings" (what an awful word!), but almost, where the ON pair is more structured. For the money, definitely go with ON. I wear my skinny jeans with longer tops and either heels or boots. Seriously, try them. They've upped my style quotient at least a few notches.

I haven't been able to totally overhaul my wardrobe, since in addition to my EDM, I also had to undergo an Extreme Financial Makeover, but I have updated it quite a bit with fitted, non t-shirt tops; this awesome gray leather jacket bought during the Loft Friends & Family promo (not online anymore, but my store had a full stock today; note that this is WAY cuter in person than in this pic); and heels. Never wore heels much pre-divorce, but I am addicted now. They make me look tall and lean (huge when you're 5'2") and I have managed to find a good selection of comfortable styles. Check out my old standby, TJ Maxx, for Cole Haan heeled sandals. They have this magic Nike Air sole that makes even 3"+ heels amazingly comfy.

Oh, and one more style tip ... get a professional bra fitting. I know, everyone says that, but it's true. After nursing two babies, I had no idea what size I really was. Nordstrom has great (free) bra fitters who will whip you into shape and work with your budget. Replacing nearly all my bras was an investment, to be sure, but it made a huge difference in how things fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment